Monday, September 13, 2010

Potluck - Prosciutto and Fig Crostini - 9/11/10

Potlucks are my favorite social event, second maybe to birthdays. So, using my college-educated brain, I decided to have a potluck for my birthday. Genius abounds.

For potlucks I typically make some sort of appetizer. Knowing my friends, most will bring booze, so I figure small, numerous, bite-sized dishes work well.

Here is a simple and quick way to satiate a group of mid-twenty drunkards (recipe: Arie Knutson)

Crostini with Prosciutto, Fig, Ricotta Cheese and Honey:

For this recipe you are going to need: 1 lb. Prosciutto, 3/4 lb figs, 1/2 lb. ricotta cheese, honey, 1 large baguette and olive oil.

The prosciutto can be di parma, if you feel like spending the money, but to be honest, no one will be able to tell the difference so I get it domestic. However, the figs should be from California, and the ricotta should be fresh.

I had honey and olive oil in my kitchen already, and for the other items I purchased them all from Russo's on 1st Ave. and 11th st.


Take the baguette and cut in to 1/2" inch slices. 1 baguette gets around 30 pieces. Heat your oven to 375. Brush both sides of each slice with a little olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and toast until slightly brown, no more than 15 minutes (the longer you leave them in, obviously, the crunchier the crostini will be. Personally, I don't like this).

Meanwhile, take the figs and quarter them.

Take the toasted bread, add one slice of prosciutto to each.

Take this and add a half of spoonful of ricotta cheese to each.

Put a quartered fig in each dollop of cheese.

Drizzle honey on top.

Eat like a boss. Here's a ridiculously close-up photo of the dish a la Tim Wu.


Tim Wu made Japanese meatballs. They were amazing. Zach Kazin made spanish tortilla. It was equally amazing. With our powers combined, multiple orgasms were achieved.


Arie got me a banana cake from Momofuku. If you've never experienced it before, go now. The combination of caramel and banana is probably the most decadently amazing dessert I've ever had. Kevin Huang got the other cake (on the right). It looked cool.



I don't have any other interesting things to tell you about today, because I'm about to go to Jean-Georges for my birthday dinner with Arie. Suck it.



No comments:

Post a Comment