Thursday, September 9, 2010

Steak Pinwheel and French Peasant Beets

Food:

Last night, after a couple of days Chinese Take-Out and sandwiches, I wanted to make a well-balanced meal that wouldn't crush my stomach too much. I also was feeling fairly exhausted, from a long day of being unemployed and having the distinct inability to do anything about it. So I wanted something simple, that was fairly easy to make.

I started with the side vegetable. It's a recipe for beets that involves caramelizing them in a buttery-oniony mix. I tend to find beets as an underrated vegetable. Due to its high sugar content it is delectably sweet when done right, yet decidedly bitter when done wrong.

I used 3 large beets, peeled and chopped into 1/4" circles, 1 bunch of scallions, 1/4 stick of butter, 1 bunch of beet greens, 1/2 lb. of fresh goat cheese (your preference), white wine, salt and pepper.


Peeling beets is a little bit of a hassle. They are tough vegetables raw, and if you don't use gloves your hands will be stained blood red for hours. I used an oxo peeler, and I'm finding all of their products to be amazing.

Then, while chopping the beets, get the butter and scallions going on high heat in your favorite skillet.


When done chopping the beets, the scallions should be sufficiently sauteed. Add beets, salt and pepper. Reduce to medium-low temperature.


I let the beets cook for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10. However, adjust based on how many beets you use, and how caramelized you want them. After 40 minutes, I added the beet greens, de-ribbed, drizzled some white wine on top, and covered it for about 5 minutes.

Serve with fresh bread and hunks of cheese. Also, worst picture ever.


I also took some flank steak, about a half a pound and cut it into 3 strips. I then wrapped pesto and mozzarella with the steak. Take a toothpick, or skewer and use it to keep the pinwheel intact. Get a skillet to high heat, and cook for 6 minutes on one side and 4 on the other. Eat.

Rating: A-
I was really happy with this meal, though it was a little heavy on the dairy. The steak was perfect, and the beets were plentiful. My favorite part of this meal was that I ate a ton of food and I didn't feel bloated at all.

Books: I finished "The Long Sleep" by Raymond Chandler, and it was one of my favorite reads in a long time. The end was much like the rest of the book, long descriptive passages broken up by brief, extreme points of violence and action.


So I immediately went out and bought "Farewell, My Lovely" his second novel. It is written in much the same way, in a sprawling, immensely descriptive, yet minimal style of prose. Phillip Marlowe is back again as the sharp, morally grey private eye. This time he is forced into a the story by a brute of a man named Moose, who unexpectedly drags Marlowe into a bar and starts a fight with the patrons.

Rating: A+.

Movies: "Ne Le Dis a Personne" or "Tell No One."


All of you who know me well, know I don't really like french movies. They're melodramatic, long, boring, and typically don't have any Autobots OR Decepticons. However, my new roommate guaranteed I would like it.

Annnnnndddddd, I did. It was good. It was action-packed, a fair enough of people got shot, and the thrilling plot line kept me interested the whole way through.

Alexandre Beck is a doctor, who's wife is brutally murdered in the opening scene of the movie. Then, 8 years later, he gets and email from her, with information only she would know. The rest of the movie is based around him trying to figure out if she really is alive, and trying to dodge the police, who think he murdered his wife 8 years ago.

Rating: B+. Good acting, great music, well-shot. Since I figured out the ending about 45 minutes through but still had to watch it all unfold, it loses a little bit on the grade.

Off-topic topic of the day: My mom bought me a Crunch gym membership. Hopefully I use it.

Rating: TBD

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the reflection turned recommendation my friend. You might just get me to read a book. Also, beets = delicious; Tell No One = quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete